Tuesday, January 17, 2012


Introduction Mark Chipperfield
           
My name is Mark Chipperfield and I am a junior Sport Management major here at Bowling Green State University. I was born in Vancouver, Washington and from six years until I went to college I lived in a suburb of Portland, Oregon.
            I am currently in my second year of working as a student manager for the Men’s Basketball team here at Bowling Green State University. I was able to complete my practicum working in the basketball offices last semester and enjoy the job immensely.
            The male athlete that I said I would pay to see in person would be Bill Walton in the prime of his career, preferable during the 1976-1977 season when he was playing for the Portland Trailblazers. Before he started having injury problems he was an incredible post player who was a very talented passer. He is widely regarded as one of the greatest players who has ever worn a Blazer uniform and since I grew up a Blazer fan it would be a great time to have the opportunity to see him play in person.
            The female athlete that I said I would pay to see in person would be Lisa Leslie. I said this because Lisa Leslie was one of the first pioneers of the WNBA. She was one of the first female players to dunk and was a dominate player in her time. She also was widely known as a great member of the Los Angeles Community and is a solid role model for America’s youth.
            My favorite sports are basketball, tennis and soccer. I grew up playing basketball and tennis which I continued through high school. My love for watching soccer is mostly a result of growing up with two English parents.
            During this semester I hope to learn about a variety of different gender related issues that are present in the sports world. I hope to learn about how to ways to promote equality with gender in sports.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mark,
    I wondered why you had mentioned that you would pay to see Bill Walton, but since you were a Blazers fan, that makes sense. I remember seeing Bill Walton when he was playing for the UCLA Bruins, so those are the days I remember him from more than when he played for Portland. I also remembered him being injured so it was unfortunate that he was unable to play as much toward the end of his career. I can also understand why you said Lisa Leslie since basketball is your favorite sport. I remember her playing at USC (UCLA's big rival - and since I taught tennis at UCLA, I wasn't a big fan of anyone at USC!). Do you have a favorite European soccer team since your parents are from England? That's pretty cool too!
    This is a good introductory entry, and I look forward to reading more of your future entries.
    Dr. Spencer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I do actually have a favorite European soccer team and they are Tottenham Hotspur. My fanhood is basically an inheritance from my dad's side of the family. Tottenham is having one of their best seasons currently in recent history so that is really exciting.

    -Mark Chipperfield

    ReplyDelete